Monday, July 14, 2008

Engaged Learning

I'm in the middle of the survey and as you might expect, I have some issues with it. The instructions say "best describes your most frequent current practice". So even though I have several stellar, incredible lesson/project/simulations, since it's not as frequent as some other methods, I can't answer that way. No teacher that I've ever heard of has students choose tasks, assessments, and stay after class because they're so excited about learning. I'd like to meet these teachers of the year.

After reading about the wonderful world of meaningful engagement, my goals for next year are to continue to bring one new project/lesson to each subject I teach. I have a pretty good list going so far:

World History music appreciation
World History French Revolution simulation
World History Partition of Milpitas journal writing

USA Civil Rights simulation
USA Immigration research project

Government Legislative Bill simulation

I'm going to try the "know everything there is to know about a senator" project next year.

I'm not sure I'm behind the students creating their own evaluations. I have them grade themselves and their peers for group work, but I'm not prepared to give up the power of assessment quite yet.

No comments: